Friday, June 12, 2009

Temple Fork Sawmill site

My second bike ride today took me up a rough trail to the Temple Fork Sawmill site. It was built in 1877 and burned down in 1886. They used the lumber locally and now there are no roads going to it and just a really overgrown trail to get in there. Since everything is so green and lush right now, it was a beautiful ride, especially coming back down.



This first picture I took looking up the drainage where the mill site is.

The 3rd picture I took on the hill looking over the mill site. I tried to approximate the location where the picture from the plaque was taken since I like before and after photo's and I had a before picture to go by. The hill side was really grown over and getting around in the brush made it difficult to take a picture from.

I'm guessing that I had to ride around a mile and a half to get to the mill site on that primitive trail and there were many places where the water was running down the trail and I had to walk my bike through those. All in all this has been a very wonderful day and the kind of trail bike riding I was hoping to be able to do down here. This is probably the last day I will have a chance to ride anyway since the rain is supposed to return tomorrow and Curtis and I might go hiking instead and then the next day Karen and Krista come back from Alaska.

No comments: