Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Bike riding in the mud!

Well, after dropping Karen and Krista off at the airport in Salt Lake City, Curtis and I headed back to Logan. Of course I was chomping at the bit to go bike riding so I headed up into Logan Canyon to find someplace to do that.

I quickly found a side road that I drove up a little way and parked and got my bike out. Thunderstorms were predicted for the day but it was nice and sunny and I started off with just a T-shirt on. The road I chose to ride up had a closed gate a mile or so up it and that is the best road to ride bikes on since there is no traffic. In fact I never saw a soul or animal all day until I made the loop back to where I started.

As luck would have it as soon as I reached the top of the hill about 3 or 4 miles up, a thunderstorm came overhead which sent me back down to find some suitable shelter. It quickly passed by so I headed back up once again but soon came into a muddy stretch of road. Man!!! Talk about bad biking conditions. My derailleurs got all gummed up with mud as well as the tires not to mention all the mud all over me. I almost turned back but after going a little farther I got to a little drier road and continued on. I ended up finding this cool trail that I took all the way back down. It was the Ricks Canyon trail and with the exception of the trees blown down across the trail, it was all ridable and quite cool.

As it turned out I came back to my truck just in time before a major gully washer came overhead. So even though I got to use my raincoat and got a little muddy, the day was a great one and I had a fabulous time.

No comments: