Thursday, November 1, 2007

Script errors..

Silicon diodes, cpu cycles, bios settings, or a bike ride in the woods... mmmm, let me see. Actually I like both of those subjects, one complementing the other in many ways. Yesterday I tried to help my friend Tom figure out what was wrong with his laptop. First it didn't have any free space on the hard drive. Finally got that sorted out with a little button that has "delete" printed on it. It wasn't as easy as it sounds but it's a done deal now.

Then he was getting these script errors when you tried to open "Event Viewer" or open the "User Accounts" applet. In addition, the search feature opened with a blank page and web sites were not rendering correctly in the browser... IE7. After a little searching myself on the internet I found that for some reason, sometimes, Internet Explorer 7 causes several dll files to be corrupted. Apparently those dll's are ones that control the functions that weren't working. So, uninstalling IE7 was the first thing to do. After that some stuff worked, you could get into the "User Accounts" but you still couldn't open "Event Viewer" or "Computer Management." More script errors. Anyway, to make a long story just a little bit longer I had to restore, or re-register, the dll files. My assumption is that taking that action corrected those corrupted files. So bandaid as it is I just downloaded Firefox and they can use that browser without difficulty as long as they don't try to go to a site that requires Internet Explorer.

Yes, I tried uninstalling IE7 and reinstalling it. Still caused the problems after being re-installed. Kind of a weird problem if you ask me. I use IE7 on both my Windows computers and have had no problem so it's something specific to that laptop.

So it was nice today for me to get out and ride my bike... best of both worlds.

No comments: