Saturday, November 3, 2007

Planned obsolescence


Funny that when I'm out riding my bike in the woods, I think about stuff like planned obsolescence. That's an old catch phrase from years ago. Originally I heard it referring to automobiles. Now days it totally can be connected to computers and software. You buy the best money can buy, and a month later it's slower than molasses. Of course buying the best money can buy does not accurately describe my purchasing strategy when building a new computer, but you look for the sweet spot when it comes to price vs quality.
So I know this guy... let's call him Elaine... No, Randy. He builds a new computer thinking that now he can finally run some of the software he has, on a computer that can finally handle it. He get's it all done, installs the latest operating system from Microsoft and then begins to come to the realization that most of the software he already owns will not run in Windows Vista. So a new operating system means all new software. Big shocker for the guy who only wants to use something he has already purchased. Now I remember when Windows XP was released... similar issues, but not like this! Sure, there were some software incompatibilities with XP, but installing anything not written specifically for Vista is a crap shoot. Randy was fucked.
Oh well, I'm not really complaining, in fact I like Vista. What Vista forced me to do was try open source software, and I have to tell you, I was pleasantly surprised. I now use open source software for image editing, office applications, and anything else I can. So much for buying Microsoft's over priced office suite. Oh yeah, so far the open source software works fine with Vista. So much for planned obsolescence.
Oh, what does all this have to do with this picture... absolutely nothing!

No comments: