Saturday, July 7, 2007

Man!



Well, I'm afraid of going back up to Antelope Lake after seeing the smoke column today. I won't legally be able to do that for a while, the Plumas has closed a huge area up there. If you ask me they went into massive overkill with the closure area, but then I don't think I want to go up there bike riding right now anyway, a little bit too smoky for me.

I really thought that the fire would slow down a little when it came down off the mountain it started on. By looking at the smoke in these pictures I'd say that the suppression action is not working. In fact I heard they might have pulled everyone off of the fire for safety reasons for a time. When you see a smoke column like this one, you have to expect rapid rates of spread, long range spotting, and certainly not the kind of fire you could put people out in front of. I happen to know that country very well and it's moving toward an area that is relatively flat and has good road access. All they need is for the wind to stop. I'm hoping it will tomorrow. As I said before, I am really afraid to see what this country looks like after this.

Guess I won't be going fishing or swimming up at the lake for a while.

No comments: