Saturday, September 27, 2008

See the road?

Me either... Yesterday I took a ride up Rogers Canyon and down Squaw canyon. I was looking for quail, didn't see any, but I did get to some places I've never been. This first picture is one of them. I was following a road and it just turned to this. Not quite what I would call high adventure, but it still made things interesting.

Today I wanted to climb Squaw Peak, so I did. This picture is from the Jenkins Sheep Camp area looking back to the peak. You can see it's nice and pointy but it was an interesting climb. Toward the top it was really rocky and you had to stay on top of the boulders because the brush between them was too thick. Long pants might have been nice.


The monument at the top is labled Queen and I'm not sure why, the maps call this Squaw Peak. The elevation according to my map is 6506 ft. The views from up there were pretty nice looking into Squaw Valley and it was a warm day and nice and breezy at the top to cool off after getting there.

A funny thing I noticed at the top. Someone had chopped quite a few of the large Mountain Mahogony trees off many years ago. I thought at first maybe a lightning fire but I couldn't find any char or evidence of a burn. Like I said this had been done quite a long time ago, I'd guess at over 50 years.

I got an email from Karen this morning just before I left saying to have a great day so it was truely a great day and a 28 mile ride... ya gotta love it! 5-3-6

No comments: