Saturday, June 28, 2008

Back Roads

The last time I was on this road was back in 1980 on the Elephant Fire. I drove a fire engine down it, but it was green and lush back then... and was until last year, I might add. As I was riding along I was wishing I had tried riding this road before the fire screwed it up beyond recognition. Too late for that now, but it still made a really nice ride.

Coming down along Last Chance creek the scenery always beckons me to take pictures.



I had to ford Last Chance Creek in one spot so I took off my shoes and waded across. I was surprised at how warm the water is. It's no wonder that certain kinds of trout don't make it here. Still, I have waded this creek many times and it seemed warmer than usual to me... There wasn't much flow anyway.


The wind shifted today and for a change, this wind shift you could watch happening... thanks to all the smoke from the fires still going. Just visible in the smoke in this last picture is Babcock Peak, where I had just come down from. The smoke moved across and as I type this the whole Honey Lake Valley is full of smoke. Tomorrow I'm heading back up to the top of Janesville Grade to explore all the roads... Life is good!!

No comments: