Monday, June 23, 2008

Fire... again!

Well, a little thunderstorm episode the other day and now the air is filled with smoke again. Information this morning is sketchy but I know of one big fire over by Sloat, where my friend Chris lives. His crew was coming back from Nevada yesterday, he called and left a message on my voice mail when I was out bike riding. The fire near his place might cross highway 70, or so the speculation goes. Quite the lack of information right now, but by this afternoon I should be able to find out a little more about what is happening.
My ride yesterday was up above Lake Forest and down Piute Canyon. My map said there was a road in the bottom of Piute Canyon, and indeed, I did find a really good trail there. No vehicle tracks and a really good bike riding trail. I will be returning to explore this area again in a few days.
Today I have a few errands to run this morning, then I'm heading up toward Cheney Creek. There is a hazy smoky filter on the sunlight here in the valley this morning, but I'm hoping the smoke will blow into Nevada and clear up a little... ahhhh, the smell of the forest on fire... memories!

No comments: