Thursday, March 6, 2008

Gnarly..

What else can you say about a pine cone like that? You wouldn't want to get hit on the head with one of these. The Digger Pine, which is the name I know it by, has been renamed by the Forest Service or someone and my friend Bob tries unsuccessfully to correct me when I call them Diggers. I'll have to have him remind me of the illegal name again when we go fishing at the end of the month, I don't remember it.


There were a few more flowers today than there were last week, this one was new. I guess I should start carrying a flower book around with me so I can identify them. Not only were there more flowers, but the water has come up about 4 feet since last week and that made a difference. You have to drive way out at the place we usually camp to get to a place where it's deep enough to launch a boat.



This last picture is of my nemisis. That vile weed severely limits my cross country treking when I'm down here. One thing about it though is that it is absolutely stunning when it's just bursting out in the spring. It's bright red color makes it really easy to spot right now but eventually the leaves turn green and they blend in more. My last year firefighting I got into it down in southern California on a fire and got a great rash. I hate this shit but it sure is purdy!

No comments: