Sunday, May 11, 2008

Sloat California.. Cheaper gas!

Chris has his own place over in Sloat so I drove over there and went bike riding with him up into Poplar Valley. It was cool to be in some new country from most of my normal bike riding areas. The ridge in the background of this picture is Eureka Ridge. There is still a bit of snow in the high country and we had to traverse one snow patch on our bike ride. From his house our ride gained over 2000 ft of elevation and we had some great downhill runs.

One of the sidelights to this trip was when I went through Quincy I was shocked to see that the gas was 10-15 cents a gallon cheaper over there than it is here in Susanville. Quincy is more remote than Susanville and I have been going through that town regularly for the last 30 years since the Plumas National Forest Supervisor's Office is there and I regularly had to travel there. Gas has almost always been more expensive there than Susanville so when I see that it isn't so now, I can also deduce that we are being screwed once again by the local gas stations who have obviously banded together to control the local price of gas. It's bad enough that it costs so much to fill up your tank these days and it doesn't sit well with me to know that the local gas stations are gouging us even more. Maybe we need a billboard outside of town warning travellers not to buy any more gas here than they need to get to almost any other town in the area so they can save some money. Needless to say I filled my tank while I was over there for the very first time in my life, buying gas in Quincy. Fuck buying local when the locals want to rip you off!

No comments: