Saturday, April 26, 2008

Batteries

With gasoline at almost $4/gallon, driving up to the lake to go fishing is getting a little pricey. So yesterday I load up and drive up there and the parking lot is pretty full, everybody else had the same idea I guess. I get the boat unloaded and park my truck and walk back down to my boat. When I turn the key to start my motor I hear a sound that I didn't want to hear... the battery doesn't have enough juice to even engage the starter drive. Bummer!

Now I have to decide what to do. I did have a couple of workable options. One, fish close to the ramp for a while before leaving early. Two, use one battery and switch them back and forth, then come back and leave early before I completely discharge the one battery I still have. Both options include cutting my day short.

I tried fishing in close to the ramp for a while, all the time thinking about what to do, and finally decided that I needed to just load up and come back down the hill and get another battery and find something else to do for the rest of the day. So I didn't catch any fish, had a nice drive and a little more practice backing my boat into my driveway. That little trip probably cost me $10-15 in gas, but the biggest bummer was not being able to catch any fish. Oh well, I had a fine time anyway and now I'm ready for fishing again in the next few days with a new battery. Any way you look at it ya gotta love it!

No comments: