Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Ides of March

I remember having to explain the Ides of March to an old supervisor years ago. He had heard of it but didn't know it was the 15th of March. There is some historical significance to this date concerning a Roman emperor, in fact that's where the phrase comes from, but the personal significance of it for me is that we are approaching the Vernal Equinox. The equinox, March 20 this year, is the first day of spring. Yesterday we had a storm blow through here and it snowed an inch or so but we are supposed to warm up again next week. Wild weather swings are expected this time of year and the temps here in Susanville can change 30° or more between the night time and daytime.
Last year I was down in Saline Valley camping at the hot springs on the equinox with my friend Chris who is the star of this video. This year I'm heading down to Death Valley on the 21st to meet Chris for some more camping and I hope to end up in Saline at the end of that trip.

No comments: